Downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983

Downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983
STMcC in downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983

Thursday, March 8, 2018

AS SOULFUL AS ‘RESTAURANT 28’

.
.
BLACK IVORY SOUL
by Angélique Kidjo
released: 2002
.
BLACK IVORY SOUL by Angelique Kidjo was a 2004 birthday gift to me from one of my few true friends, Melanie. [Thanks, MelNel!] She was turned onto it by the receptionist at her dentist’s office. Melanie immediately determined to get me a copy too, knowing that I’m the hippest, most soulful White dude this side of RESTAURANT 28 -- an excellent soul food joint in Glendale, Arizona. And did I like the music immediately? Did Louis Armstrong like red beans and rice? Does a bear like honey? Does Albert Pujols like a hanging curve ball? Does Terrill Owens like Donovan McNabb? (Oh, I guess I got carried away.)
.
What I don’t like is this bovine excrement that passes for music amongst our brain-dead youth today. (I call all of their bands ‘THE NAKED EMPERORS.’) If it’s not Bimbo Pop pap, it’s Rap crap, or what’s called “Alternative” (meaning: alternative to “music”.) I don’t buy music anymore; having an I.Q. over 50, I don’t watch MTV; I don’t go to dance clubs; and the only contemporary music [sic] I’m exposed to is through commercials and the half-wit sitting next to me at the red light. So although my familiarity with it has been limited, I’d say that Angelique Kidjo’s BLACK IVORY SOUL is the best music yet to emerge from the 21st Century.
.
From the liner notes: “Kidjo has crossed musical boundaries by blending the tribal and pop rhythms of her native West African heritage with a variety of styles, including Funk, Salsa, and Jazz. On BLACK IVORY SOUL, Kidjo explores the musical and cultural kinship between Africa and Brazil, specifically her homeland and the province of Bahia.”
.
Now, if that sounds like a real potpourri of influences, I can assure you that it does not come off as being some patchwork quilt of disparate styles. BLACK IVORY SOUL is a very unified and unique musical statement. The whole piece is tied together by intriguing , exotic rhythms and (though few of the lyrics are sung in English) the album is loaded with catchy melodies and hooks galore. It’s as memorable as any Pop album ever created by an English-singing music stylist.
.
The musicianship -- especially the drumming and percussion -- is first-rate throughout, and Kidjo displays remarkable vocal control and an expressive instrument that conveys many emotional shadings regardless of language. Man, this is stellar stuff! You could dance to it, sing to it, contemplate to it. The only thing you won’t be able to do is sleep to it -- it’s entirely too energetic for that.
.
There’s not a single track that I don’t really like on BLACK IVORY SOUL, but if I had to pick a favorite, I’d probably side with OMINIRA. Thanks to the English translations provided in the accompanying booklet, I know that Angelique Kidjo is singing: “Everybody wants freedom / Everybody wants to find one’s soulmate / Take my hand / I can promise you / Life will bring us freedom.” From Kidjo’s lips to God’s Ears!
.
The only negative comment I have to make is directed at Dave Matthews who duets with Kidjo on IWOYA. While I like the song and also Dave’s voice, it kind of irks me to hear him singing, “You don’t have to be old to be wise / Don’t you hear the baby crying?” I just happen to know that Dave Matthews associates with Planned Parenthood, and a few years ago his band did a benefit concert on behalf of that organization which is the nation’s largest promoter of abortion. I’ve got a question for you Dave: How ‘bout you? Don’t you hear the “unborn” baby crying?
.
Other than this “insensitive” singer/songwriter’s hypocritical participation, I really dig Angelique Kidjo’s BLACK IVORY SOUL. It makes my own Irish / German / Scottish / American Indian soul sing. (I may be a mutt but I ain’t no dog!) If you’re the soulful sort and can appreciate great music regardless of its origin or the language of its lyrics, then you’re gonna love BLACK IVORY SOUL, and I wouldn’t Kidjo ‘bout that. (Ha! Sorry. I guess I got carried away... again.)
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.