Downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983

Downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983
STMcC in downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983

Saturday, December 23, 2017

WOULD YOU LIKE TO... SEE 'IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE' COME TO LIFE?

.
[I originally published this online on December 4, 2005.]
.
.
FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS I WORKED AS A VOLUNTEER CORRESPONDENT FOR A RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATION'S "PRISON OUTREACH PROGRAM". IT PUT ME IN CONTACT WITH MANY PEOPLE INCARCERATED AROUND THE COUNTRY. THE STRONGEST RELATIONSHIP THAT I DEVELOPED WAS WITH A YOUNG MAN -- I WILL CALL HIM "FRED" -- WHO WAS IN A FLORIDA PRISON. I HAPPENED TO MENTION IN A LETTER THAT 'IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE' WAS ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES. HE ANSWERED THAT THE MOVIE HAS A GREAT EMOTIONAL IMPACT ON HIM BECAUSE OF AN INCIDENT THAT HAD ACTUALLY TAKEN PLACE SOME YEARS EARLIER.

I'VE CHANGED ALL OF THE NAMES BECAUSE IT WAS PERSONAL CORRESPONDENCE AND I NEVER REQUESTED PERMISSION TO REVEAL HIS IDENTITY, BUT HERE IS AN EXCERPT FROM "FRED'S" DECEMBER 4, 1999 LETTER RELATING THE DETAILS TO ME:

"Jim West (my grandfather) passed away in October of 1990 and as it was, I was already 'off the chain' and headed for serious problems. I was 17 at the time and I remember clearly standing at the wake, shaking hands with too many people, dressed in a suit with combat boots (my punk rocker days), stoned out of mind and reason. My best friend Katy was with me and though she and I were no longer intimate, I was more interested in getting away from that dreadful funeral to be with her and my friends.

"Anyhow, Christmas of 1990 was miserable. I lasted about an hour and finally took off in a rage, unable to cope with all of my aunts, my mom and grandmom, and other family members' tears and emotional misery. Looking back I realize they were dealing with his death as best they knew how and it is healthy to grieve and not stuff feelings. My solution was to get wasted.

"Christmas 1991 was even worse for me. I had recently had my first major run in with the law and was out on bond. I was living with my mom and step-dad at the time because my grandmother was too afraid of me. Mom and Rob are both alcoholics and drug abusers and though one might think this would make us compatable [sic], it actually only complicated matters.

"That Christmas Eve, they came home from a party in quite a state and my step-dad in a drunken rage picked a fight with me and threw me out. It was ugly. He smashed my T.V. through the window and threw me a bag of dog-food saying I might need it when I got hungry. I had my own car and left with the few things I could grab. I went to my grandma's and although she was reluctant to let me stay, she let me spend the night. The next morning she went to Mom's for X-mas and though she tried to convince me to go with her, pride over the night before would not allow me to do it. I ended up doing my usual: drinking like a madman and smoking out. I was driving around town, drunk and out of my mind, swimming in self-pity and decided I was going to end it all, take my own life. I hit the interstate and headed for the big bridge I would jump from.

"Then the miracle happened. On the other side of the bridge is a rest area where I intended to park my car and as I pulled in, parked, and drank some more, I noticed one other car in the rest area and I noticed someone slumped over the wheel of the car. Curiosity filled me, and a sense of urgency and I got out and walked to the car. Slumped over the wheel was a very old woman who I could tell was crying. She cracked her window as I motioned to her and I asked her if she was okay and could I help her somehow.

"She looked frightened (no wonder in the state I was in) but began to explain to me that she was from Tallahassee and had driven over to be with her daughter for Christmas. She had been lost for hours and was confused and at wits end and not even knowing where she was now or what direction to go. She told me where her daughter lived and I happened to know where it was. I offered to show her the way and she followed me. When we passed her daughter's apartment complex, she did not pull in but flashed me and we pulled into a small nearby store.

"At this point, she tried to offer me twenty dollars. I refused. She told me that when she was a little girl the world was a kind place but in her 70 years it had become ugly and she had believed there were no miracles left. She told me I changed her mind, the world was still full of miracles. She hugged me. She wished me a Merry Christmas. She got in her car and drove away. I sat down on the curb and bawled like a baby.

"I don't know if you believe in angels but I do. She was an angel, whether an angel in humanity or an actual celestial being, but the real miracle was that whether she knew it or not, she saved my life. The miracle was hers and she gave it to me.

"I decided at that point to go to my other grandmother's house. I ended up having a Christmas I will never forget. Oh, as I was driving to Granny's for Christmas, there was a $100 bill in my pocket that was not there before. I guess the old woman stuck it in there when she hugged me. God bless her wherever she is! (Just an aside...I noticed that you mentioned It's A Wonderful Life in your last letter. I love that movie. Do you see any similarity in it and my story?)

"Merry Christmas and may the Light of Christ shine on you always.
Romans 8:28. --Brother Fred"

I THINK THAT FRED'S EXPERIENCE IS ONE OF THE MOST "WONDERFUL" TRUE CHRISTMAS STORIES I HAVE EVER HEARD. I HOPE YOU LIKED IT, TOO.

BLESS AND BE BLESSED!

~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

16 comments:

  1. Al Bondigas here. I remember reading that story some years ago. Great story!! Merry Christmas bro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. `
      Tu eres mi hermano!

      Yeah, amazing story, huh? It really is like a modern day version of 'IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE'.

      Wherever "Fred" is today, I hope he's well and living the life God intends for him.

      Merry and Happy (and lots of Alka-Seltzer!)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

      Delete
    2. Al Bondigas here. That woman has no idea how she may have saved his life. Unless of course she was an angel. Just goes to show you how you have no idea the lives you may touch, or situations you may have altered throughout your life. Well, it would still be a better world without people.

      Delete
    3. But, alas, we must live WITH people. And it is better to be crowded and rich than...crowded and... poor.

      Yeah, this story illustrates how God can Divinely time things whereby two desperate people are able to help each other.

      Unless, of course, she really was a celestial angel, which is not out of the question.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

      Delete
    4. Do you think anybody else gets these inside jokes and lines that we throw out now and then?

      Delete
  2. Their back... yah... You had copies. Awesome.... I read all of your old reviews... food to see them back up. Merry Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BR'ER MARC ~
      Yep, with the exception of three, I had saved copies of all my Amazon reviews, as well as the SYLT Guides.

      Eventually, when I've got them all posted here, I may even begin writing NEW reviews for products I like... and hate.

      ...and a Happy New Year!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      STMcC Presents 'Battle Of The Bands'

      Delete
    2. I love that story and it is certainly reminiscent of "It's a Wonderful Life." Often we do influence another's life but may never be aware of it.

      But let me get this straight. This incident with the older lady happened and Fred still got in trouble, evidently, and ended up in prison where you met him. Is that right or am I reading it wrong? I wish it could have ended with him improving his life after being the recipient of the angel's generosity and there-after, living a wonderful life.
      I do still love the story and you did a beautiful job writing it. You can tell, I really got into it. High-five to Stephen.

      Delete
    3. Thank you, BELVA! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      I can't take any real credit for the writing, however, because nearly all of this blog bit was just me quoting from what "Fred" wrote. So, credit to Fred, in truth.

      Yes, unfortunately, Fred still managed to later get himself imprisoned. It was due to drug possession. And as I recall, it was a pretty "small potatoes" case of drug possession, exacerbated by a prior history of arrest for drug possession -- hence the imprisonment.

      If it makes you feel better, Fred was not a drug dealer, nor was his a case of theft or violence of any kind. Just a matter of a young guy who got caught up in trying to escape his reality via mind-altering substances.

      The last time I was in contact with "Fred", he was very close to his release date; he sounded optimistic and psychologically / emotionally healthy. He was also very much devoted to living a Spiritually-centered, Christ-inspired life.

      I have been out of touch with Fred for a long, long time, but I feel strongly that wherever he is today, he's doing well and is drug-free.

      Thanks for reading and commenting, BELVA, my friend!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      STMcC Presents 'Battle Of The Bands'

      Delete
  3. Stephen,

    What a wonderful story indeed! I love the movie "It's a Wonderful Life". In fact, we watched it on Christmas Eve. I don't believe I've ever read a real "wonderful life" story before and Fred's certainly sounds like a purrfect candidate. Sometimes it takes the kindness of a stranger to open the coldest, most distant heart. I pray those that I love who struggle to find their way in this life while refusing to follow the examples and teachings of their youth will meet such a stranger. God works in mysteriously wonderful ways. Thanks for sharing this touching story of hope. God bless you and may 2018 hold wonderful things for you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank you very much, CATHY, and am pleased you enjoyed the story so much!

      Indeed, that old expression "God works in mysterious" ways may have been bounced around so often that it seems trite, and yet it is still SO TRUE!

      This story about how Fred was saved from suicide is an ideal example of God working in mysterious ways. And He has worked with me also in ways that I later reflected upon and found mysterious.

      All the best to you and your family in 2018. I look forward to another year of online fun!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

      Delete
  4. Stephen,
    Now that is a fairly nice story, did i write it? Angels do exist my friend. They get me out of trouble all the time. Heck, you might even be one....check out the book Recognizing your Saints...
    JW,
    Pooh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >>... Angels do exist my friend. They get me out of trouble all the time.

      Too bad they couldn't keep you OUT of trouble to begin with. Where were your angels when you were about to fall into... the next hole, the next pond, the next lake, the next open manhole???

      Where were your angels when the Sun was beating up your feet at the beach?!

      Ha!-Ha!
      If not for you, I'd have 75% less stories to tell.

      Thanks for stopping by, GENERAL POOHREGARD. And a HAPPY ST. PADDY'S DAY to ya, McBrother O'Mine!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      STMcC Presents 'Battle Of The Bands'

      Delete
    2. Stephen,
      Perhaps they were pushing me in to expedite my bumpy road to becoming a non-drinking MF.
      JW,
      Pooh

      Delete
    3. That's right, Pooh. It was the angels all along. (I like the way you think. I can use that myself, O'Bro!)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.