Downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983

Downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983
STMcC in downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983

Monday, April 30, 2018

SURFING WATERS BOTH DEEP AND SHALLOW

.
[This review was written and originally published 2006, March 5th.]
.

.
GREATEST HITS, VOL. 3:
BEST OF THE BROTHER YEARS, 1970-1986
by The Beach Boys
released: Feb. 1, 2000
.
THE BEACH BOYS are one of those bands that have provided the soundtrack to my life. Growing up in Southern California, their music really does become a part of one's experiences.

.
Examples: I can't hear 'Help Me, Rhonda' or 'The Girls On The Beach' without recalling my years of bodysurfing the waves near Santa Monica's Lifeguard Station #26. 'Good Vibrations' automatically transports me back to Santa Monica High School -- located conveniently 2 blocks from the Pacific Ocean. (Sometimes the sound of the surf called more insistently than did the school bell.) Samohi's official school song, 'Hymn Of Praise' written by Ken Darby from the Class of 1927, starts out,
.
Oh Samohi, dear old Samohi
Queen of the setting sun
For you we toil, for you our banners fly
We win for you when victory's won!
.
But every pep rally I attended from '74 through '77 ended more "excitationally" with...
.
Good, good, good, good vibrations
(oom bop bop)
I'm pickin' up good vibrations
She's giving me excitations
(oom bop bop)

.
'In My Room' humorously reminds me of the time in 1986 when I found it on a jukebox in a Reno lounge and drove every other patron out of the place with it. I was in the bartender's doghouse, but what are ya gonna do with a liquidated cowboy who wants to hear 'In My Room'... 18 consecutive times?

.
And while the richly melancholic 'The Warmth Of The Sun' is my all-time favorite Beach Boys song, there is a lot to be said for many of the tracks found on this compilation.
.
This is the final part of Capitol's Beach Boys Greatest Hits trilogy series. This one -- which features 20 of The Boys' late period minor hits and non-hits -- will be ignored by the casual Beach Boys fan, and that is an unfortunate mistake. True, these "leftovers" were recorded and released after the height of the band's popularity and creative success according to the music critics, but the Beach Boys --though they had largely moved away from their gorgeous and complex trademark vocal harmony arrangements -- were still making some magic music. And some of it as sensitive and more intense than anything that preceded it.
.
For every lightweight and silly 'SUSIE CINCINNATI' and 'PEGGY SUE' on this collection, you'll also find a brooding 'TIL I DIE', or nostalgic 'DISNEY GIRLS (1957)', or yearning 'SURF'S UP'. No, we didn't need another version of 'ROCK AND ROLL MUSIC' or 'COME GO WITH ME', and yet I'd hate to have missed out on the world-weary but defiant 'LONG PROMISED ROAD' (my personal "Fight Song") or the intricate protest song 'THE TRADER', with its catchy movements that force my toes to tap or my feet to stomp.
.
Some of these songs, being more melodically subtle and lacking that instantly recognizable sound of The Boys' early hits, will require a bit more patience from the listener, but with time, that open-minded patience will certainly be rewarded. Of course, 'SAIL ON, SAILOR' you probably already know (I invented my pen name while it was playing through the sound system in a Coco's Restaurant); the lovely 'GOOD TIMIN'' is reminiscent of that lush harmonizing adopted from The Four Freshmen during The Beach Boys' infancy. And the well-chosen closer, 'CALIFORNIA DREAMIN'', with its urgent tenor sax solo actually eclipses the classic Mamas And Papas version. (Yeah, I couldn't believe it either!)
.
If all you desire is a balanced career retrospective of some of The Beach Boys' best music on a single disc, then go with 'Classics: Selected By Brian Wilson'. But the REAL fan will want the 3-part Capitol compilation series: 'The Greatest Hits, Vol 1: 20 Good Vibrations'; 'The Greatest Hits, Vol. 2: 20 More Good Vibrations'; and this disc, 'THE GREATEST HITS, VOL. 3: BEST OF THE BROTHER YEARS, 1970 - 1986'.
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

4 comments:

  1. Howdy Reno!

    18 times? I'd say the bartender was very patient ;-) Nice to know a fellow jukebox fan.

    I did NOT know the Beach Boys did 'Sail on, Sailor'!

    I didn't remember 'The Warmth of the Sun' until I looked it up, as soon as I heard it, the melody was familiar. Shoot, I think I was six when that song was first released!

    You've mentioned lots of good oldies here - but hey! Remember 409 and Little Deuce Coup? What was that one about daddy taking the T-bird away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HiYa, dIEDRE! ~

      I hope yer having a nice weekend.

      Had I been sober, hearing that song 18 times would have driven ME crazy, too!

      BTW, it was THAT particular night which led to the worst hangover in my "drinking career". My buddy and I were supposed to drive from Reno to L.A. the following morning, but I was so hungover that we got as far as Virginia City (just 30 minutes away), when I told him I couldn't go any further and I needed a motel room for the night. (This was at about 10:00 AM. Ha!)

      Daddy takes the T-Bird away in 'Fun, Fun, Fun'. (That shouldn't have stopped them, though. Because I have had lots of fun, fun, fun and I have NEVER been in a T-Bird. Cadillacs, yes; but never a T-Bird.)

      Incidentally, this album in question contains 'WENDY' and 'CAROLINE', but it does not contain 'DEIRDRE'. You'd need to go to the album 'Sunflower' for that one.
      [;-)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

      Delete
  2. Stephen,

    You're probably going to hate me...okay hate is too harsh but I am not much of surf mewsic kinda gal. The Beach Boys and other like them really rocked the mewsic industry in their day and I certainly enjoyed listening to said mewsic style in bits. It certainly makes me feel nostalgic and we even have some of The Beach Boys mewsic but I definitely prefer other styles. I will give these boys A+ on harmonizing which is pawsome. Now, I want to feel the sun on my skin and spray on my face. That's coming from someone who's not beach gal,too. Thanks for sharing. Your posts are making me smile. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, CATHY!
      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      When it comes to music, to each their own. (Hey, at least The Beach Boys were real music, though, and not cRAP just posing as music, eh?)

      Brian Wilson was certainly a musical genius, and I think The Beach Boys were the best harmonizing group in the history of recorded music.

      Recently, when I did that BOTB installment using The Golden Gate Quartet, I was amazed by their harmonizing. That was the first and only time I heard vocalists harmonizing where I actually thought: These folks are in the same league with The Beach Boys.

      I would still say The B.B. were better, but I don't think anyone else I've heard (including The Mamas & The Papas, Spanky & Our Gang, The 5th Dimension, or Pentatonix) ever came as close as The Golden Gate Quartet did.

      Thanks again for visiting!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.