Downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983

Downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983
STMcC in downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983

Monday, May 21, 2018

Ol' Stephen T. Rescues Another Album From OBLIVION!

.
[This review was originally published at
BigBitch.com on June 29, 2005]
.
.
LIVE OBLIVION -- Vol. 1 & 2
Brian Auger's Oblivion Express
released: 1974 & 1976
.
Well, here I am again, posting a review for something th t's been utterly neglected. Of my current 67 reviews, 10 or 11 of them  re the only posting for their respective product. In the song 'THE SOUNDS OF SILENCE', P ul Simon mentions, "writing songs that voices never share". In my case, however, it is "writing reviews that no one ever reads." What does that say  bout me? I guess, as in those immortal words of Waylon Jennings, I'm either "one step ahead, or behind." At any rate, I'm cert inly not a "Helpful" votes hound.
.
In 1978 (when this recording was but 4 years old), I was driving North on Highland Avenue in Hollyweird, and shortly after crossing Sunset Boulevard (yes, THAT Sunset Boulev rd), this live version of 'BUMPIN' ON SUNSET' was pl yed on the AM radio station I was listening to (yes, AM radio! Unbeliev ble, I know!) I was immedi tely spellbound. It was one of those instances in which I started silently pleading, "Oh, ple se Mr. D.J., tell me who this is!" Well, he did, nd I went right out and bought LIVE OBLIVION, Vol. 1 (in those days, this was p ckaged as two separate LPs). I liked it so much that I later purch sed the 2-record, Vol. 2 set also. At th t time, I was a Rock 'N' Roll junkie, and these were the first JAZZ albums I ever owned. By the early 1980s, I had gravitated to The Blues, but since the mid-'80s, Jazz has been far nd away my musical preference.
.
My favorite instrument is the Hammond B-3 Organ -- it is so soulful, so expressive, and so electrified and "electrifying!" Some of the B-3 Masters I like re Jimmy McGriff, Bill Doggett and of course, Jimmy Smith. But BRI N AUGER is my favorite -- he plays with such passion. Herbie Hancock (yes, THAT Herbie Hancock!) has s id, "Brian Auger is one of the best B-3 artists I have ever heard in my life. His technique is awesome nd the amount of energy he generates is unparalleled and relentless."
.
So, when I affix 5 Stars to THE COMPLETE LIVE OBLIVION, you must take into consider tion my affinity for its featured instrument, the nostalgic value this set holds for me, nd the fact that THIS version of 'BUMPIN' ON SUNSET' remains one of my 5 f vorite instrumental pieces of all-time. (I'm const ntly whistling it.)
.
Recorded at the intimate WHISKEY-A-GO-GO nightclub on Sunset Boulev rd in Hollywood, this is the rare live set that really conveys th t "you are there" feeling. Most of the pieces are top-notch: this is easily my f vorite version of Auger's signature tune 'BUMPIN' ON SUNSET', as the livelier pace makes the funky groove more pronounced. I really dig 'TRUTH', nd the closer, 'COMPARED TO WHAT?' (with its then-contempor ry Watergate reference), is a flat-out barnburner! (Too bad bout the "G-damn" lyric that infringes on my enjoyment of it.)
.
But will YOU like this? It is JAZZ/ROCK/FUNK FUSION with a pronounced 1970s feel. The first few notes of 'BEGINNING AGAIN' immedi tely propel my mind back to that ancient decade. And I prefer these extended jams taken at a slightly quicker pace than their studio counterparts, even if it me ns a sound qu lity that is just a bit raw. In the liner notes, Auger wrote, "Although the sound on the lbum may not be all we would wish it to be, I am satisfied th t the spirit shines through." Indeed it does. I'm not a fan of Alex Ligertwood's frequently over-the-top voc ls, but since they are largely incidental to these lengthy and searing improvis tions, they rarely detract signific ntly.
.
The currently "out-of-print" status of this  lbum means an inflated price for a used copy. I'd pay it, as THE COMPLETE LIVE OBLIVION makes my Top 25 album list. Listen to the song samples,  nd if you're already an AUGER fan, consider acquiring it. This IS a hot live set,  nd the band can really work that thang! But if you're fairly new to this surprisingly funky English B-3 bloke, you might w nt to start with the anthology [link> AUGER RHYTHMS: BRI N AUGER'S MUSICAL HISTORY, which is a more sonically varied and re sonably priced 2-disc collection. It presents a decidedly inferior 'BUMPIN' ON SUNSET', but otherwise, has A LOT to offer.
.
I hope you didn't have too much difficulty in deciphering this review. For some reason, the letter " " on my keyboard isn't  lways registering, and I'll tell you this much: it's a real p in in the ss!
.
~ Stephen T. McC rthy
.

12 comments:

  1. Al Bondigas here. Good review bro. I remember us seeing him at the Glendale jazz and blues festival some years ago. Man, his son can really bang them drums too. And his daughter was an excellent singer as well. Well, I guess talent runs in their family. But, we got strong white teeth!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JUDGE AL!

      Yeah, that was great getting to see Brian & Family at the Glendale Jazz & Blues Festival. (I got to shake the hand that rocked the B-3!) I always looked forward to that event every year!

      >>... But, we got strong white teeth!!

      Ha!-Ha! Yeah, well YOU do, anyway.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      STMcC Presents 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS'

      Delete
    2. Do you remember where that line comes from?

      Delete
    3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8mUMSi5M8g

      ~ D-FensDogG



      Delete
    4. Or...

      have you seen [Link> THIS ONE?

      Dang! That took place in Sun City, AZ. Did you hear about that?

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Loyal American Underground'

      Delete
    5. No, I never heard anything about it. Hilarious though.

      Delete
  2. When I saw he had done "Bumpin' on Sunset," a favorite of mine by Wes Montgomery, I had to check it out. Think I'll be checking more of his stuff out.

    Hope you've dealt with your "a" problem. New keyboards aren't that expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JOHN ~
      For the longest time, I have wanted to do a BOTB contest using Wes Montgomery's 'BUMPIN' ON SUNSET' original against Brian Auger's cover, but I have hesitated because I strongly suspect that, although it might not be a shutout, it would be a blowout.

      But now with this BOTB 'Battle For Los Angeles' concept I have introduced, I will be able to use Brian's cover against some other L.A.-themed song.

      Perhaps I'll even do that on June 1st, since I've not yet unequivocally decided on a match-up for that contest.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      STMcC Presents 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS'

      POSTSCRIPT:
      There never really was an "a" problem. I was only foolin'.

      Delete
  3. Gr at R vi w!

    It s ms that I hav found your "a" but manag d to los my " " in th proc ss.

    Of Cours , I just list n d to Bumpin' On Suns t. This would b a good on for your n xt battl .

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MMQE ~
      I've got my "a" back, but now I've lost my ucking " "! It's probably hanging out in the alley behind the school and smoking cigarettes with your "e". Damned young hoodlum letters! They'll never amount to anything in li e.

      Glad you liked the review. Thanks!

      Yip! I I don't use Brian's 'BUMPIN'...' in this next BOTB round, I will de initely be using it at some uture date.

      ~ D- ensDogG
      STMcC Presents 'BATTLE OF THE BANDS'

      Delete
  4. I remember Brian Auger from his association with Julie Driscoll in the late '60s. They did a killer version of "This Wheel's On Fire". Based on your excellent review here, I'm going to check out this album. Thanks! ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, DEBBIE!

      You have a good memory. And that version of 'This Wheel's On Fire' that you mentioned, with Julie Driscoll singing, can be found on THIS one:

      http://stephentmccarthyreviews.blogspot.com/2018/03/hey-you-there-listen-here.html

      And, by the way, that's a song that has been recorded a number of times. So, there's a BOTB idea for ya should you ever find yourself stumped and looking for a Battle to do.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.