Downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983

Downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983
STMcC in downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

WAS KASPAROV A PAWN IN IBM’s GAME?

.
.
GAME OVER: KASPAROV AND THE MACHINE
Documentary featuring Garry Kasparov
released: 2003
.
Did GARRY KASPAROV, the world’s greatest chess player, get rooked when he lost a six-game match to IBM’s supercomputer, DEEP BLUE, in 1997? That’s the question that this padded but nonetheless interesting documentary asks you to consider.
.
I wasn’t even aware of GAME OVER: KASPAROV AND THE MACHINE until I stumbled over it while Amazon surfing last week. When I was unable to locate a VHS rental copy, I actually bought my first DVD player (NOT made in China, India, or Indonesia) just so I could view this.
.
If you have little or no interest in chess (the world’s greatest game!) then there is no chance you’ll find watching the 85 minutes of GAME OVER well spent. On the other hand, if chess fascinates or even interests you, you’ll find the movie flawed but somewhat intriguing.
.
I got into chess as a result of the high profile 1972, Fischer versus Spassky match. Later in 1972, I joined the chess club at my junior high school and won the club championship in a three-game match. (But interestingly, the player who most intimidated me was blind. He was a “Chess Game Wizard.”) Back then, I wanted to be ranked a Master by the age of 16, but other interests began vying for my time and attention: art, girls, and sports and/or the art of watching girls in shorts play sports! I never became more than mediocre at best in chess, but I never lost all interest in it either. Nor in watching girls play beach volleyball. : )
.
Of this movie’s hour and a half running time, likely 50% of it is unnecessary filler. We get shots of Kasparov revisiting the locales less than 10 years later; the same footage over and over of an old chess-playing contraption; shots of New York City ad nauseam, etc. As Christopher Lloyd said in the movie One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest: Cut the bullshit; play the game! A little atmosphere is fine, but too much of it slows down an already slow contest.
.
The crux of Kasparov’s argument follows: After beating DEEP BLUE handily in Game One, in which the computer played a very mathematical, machine-like style, it made a “creative judgment” in Game Two which the man, Kasparov, was certain could only be made by a “man”. Subsequently, he became so unnerved -- convinced that a human mind was responsible for that move (i.e., he was playing against not just a computer, but also against one or more unseen Grand Masters behind the scenes) -- that he prematurely conceded Game Two, which possibly cost him a draw and ultimately the match.
.
If chess were purely mathematical, I -- the most mathematically-challenged person on the planet -- would have never won a game. There are rich, creative and psychological elements to chess -- it is NOT strictly mechanical, not just “black and white”, despite the colors of the pieces. It is closer to music than it is to algebra. I have no math skills whatsoever, but I’m extremely analytical and I naturally discern patterns in things. And I can be quite a fearsome psych warrior! As a novice playing against novices, I frequently swapped queens when the only advantage to me was psychological: beginners -- and even some half decent players -- will mentally surrender once they’ve lost their queen. But I KNEW I could win without her, and it only made me bear down and concentrate more. I’ve always been at my best under pressure. But does a computer “got game” when it comes to those additional chess factors?
.
When in Game Two, KASPAROV offered up a pawn (or two?) in order to gain a positional advantage in another sector of the board, and DEEP BLUE declined to take the piece, Kasparov became suspicious and lost his composure. It was as if a dog passed up ground beef because it “speculated” that there might be filet mignon three blocks away. Is a dog (or computer) capable of that kind of “thought”? Or will it immediately take the first gift offered? How can it sniff out a stratagem from a mistake? Well, Deep Blue saying, “Thanks, but no thanks” made Kasparov deeply blue. The rest is history.
.
I really wish that the filmmaker had dispensed with 15 minutes of superfluous “atmosphere” shots and spent it really analyzing that key move in Game Two. (One of the DVD’s Special Features replays all of the games with very basic commentary on each move, but no mention is made of the questionable moment in Game Two or of the importance it held.)

.
What was Kasparov really attempting to accomplish by sacrificing a pawn or two? How obvious was the advantage in position that he would have gained? How much “creative thinking” did Deep Blue have to perform in order to “see through the ground beef”? How did the computer go from mechanical playing to “humanistic” playing overnight? Was IBM playing chess games with Kasparov, or playing mind games with him? You’ll never know until you check, mate!
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

8 comments:

  1. I haven't seen the film, but remember the story. It was quite a sensational news item! Computers are only as good as the humans who program them and this person must have been pretty smart. ☺ As a casual chess player, I agree with your assessment that it's not purely mechanical. Psyching out the opponent definitely plays a role as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEBBIE, thanks for the comment!

      I haven't played a game of chess in ages, which is kind of sad.

      The documentary was interesting and I'm not sorry I got it. But it didn't go into enough detail to fully satisfy me. I understand Kasparov's contention but I'm left with no more of an opinion on it than I had before watching the movie.

      It wouldn't at all surprise me if IBM had indeed "cheated" against Kasparov, but I guess I'll never really know.

      As mentioned in the review, I used to love trading queens against opponents. It would force me to bear down and concentrate harder. And very often, it would rattle my opponents, which was always fun to watch. (I'm terrible.) Sometimes I could see "Giving Up" written all over their faces, before they'd even tried to play on without their queen.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

      Delete
    2. Anything is possible. ☺ Losing one's Queen is always a big deal in chess, but you can still win, depending on the situation. As you said, if your opponent loses composure, you have a definite edge.

      Delete
    3. Exactly! It was not unusual for me to play without a queen, so I had a certain level of confidence in that situation. But if my opponent immediately lost some confidence as a result of losing their queen, then I had the advantage. It wasn't just an "equal" diminishing of power for both of us.

      I didn't *always* do this. But when playing against someone whom I thought may have had less chess experience under their belt, it was a tactic I always kept in mind and was open to in certain situations.

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
    4. Too bad we live so far apart. It would be fun to play chess with you! ☺ My father taught me how to play when I was 10 and after that, I beat him all the time.

      Delete
    5. Oh, yeah, that would be fun! However, I haven't played a game of chess in about 13-15 years, so I'm sure I'd stink up the joint until it started coming back to me.

      We could even play a game of chess via email, except I've never played by mail and therefore never learned the proper way of describing the moves. I know it sounds something like "Pawn to Queen's Rook one"... but I'm not sure I'm sure I really know what that would mean. I'd need to do some research just to learn HOW to play chess by mail. And then I'd have to relearn HOW to play a decent game of chess.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      STMcC Presents 'Battle Of The Bands'

      Delete
  2. Stephen,

    In grade school one of my best friends liked chess and I played with him a bit but the game didn't make a lot of sense to me. After DH began dating, he patiently laid more ground work behind the game as we played but still I never caught on and lost horribly every time I attempted to play. I had no clue that if you lost your queen that you can still win the game. I play checkers better but then that's not nearly as challenging. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, CATHY ~
      I think chess is the greatest game ever invented, but it's also the most complex game and definitely takes a good deal of time before a person gets good at it. (Unless perhaps they're some kind of genius whose mind God had created in a way that's naturally wired in a certain way.)

      There are just so many layers to the game and so many strategies that true masters of the game are a rare breed.

      I loved chess and so I played often in my teens and I got pretty good at it. Not "Master" good, but good for a novice or amateur. However, I remember checking books out of the library that showed games which had been played by true masters, and I couldn't even understand what those guys were doing! Sometimes a master would concede the game to his equally proficient opponent and I'd be scratching my head and thinking: Why did he concede? Only eighteen moves have been made and only seven pieces have been taken. This game has just begun and already one guy has conceded?

      It was clear that those players were thinking so many moves ahead that one of them could already see "the hand writing on the wall". They were clearly far superior to my level of play.

      In a normal game, I'd be working on perhaps a couple of different attacking plans and thinking maybe seven moves ahead. That might sound impressive but it's child's play compared to a true chess master.

      It's a fantastic game, but it requires a good deal of patience and practice for most people to get fairly good at it.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.