Downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983

Downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983
STMcC in downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983

Monday, November 27, 2017

BARKING DOGS, WALTZING CATS, AND A RIDE WITH ROCCO!

.
.
THE BEST OF LEROY ANDERSON: SLEIGH RIDE
by Leroy Anderson
released: 1997
.
Every year about this time, I like to add some new Christmas related item to my collection of reviews. This year it was between reviewing The Jingle Dogs album, where they bark holiday favorites, or THE BEST OF LEROY ANDERSON, where the composer conducts his own miniature orchestral compositions, including the classic version of his original instrumental SLEIGH RIDE. If you’re reading this, then you already know that the annoying canines got the boot. And they ran all the way to the Spring of 2007 with their tails between their legs. “And don’t come back! Shut them dawgs up, April!”
.
OK, where were we? Oh, yeah: It was in December of 1996 when I kept hearing this particular instrumental version of Sleigh Ride played on the radio station I listened to every day while delivering fresh squeezed organic juice to a grocery store or health food store near you. This was the most imaginative, briskly paced, and snowy version of Sleigh Ride I’d ever heard: the horses were clip-clopping, the whip was cracking, and I was bundled up warmly with a lovely lady friend at my side in this imaginary Santa suit-red sleigh polished to a high sheen after twelve coats of wax and a Laurie Partridge in a pear tree. (Yeah, I know I get a little carried away, but what're ya gonna do?)
.
Soon I was obsessed with that musical piece. “Who does THAT version, Mr. DJ Man? Who does it?” Finally, on the Thirteenth Day of Christmas, my DJ said to me, “That was Sleigh Ride -- Leroy Anderson.” I was about to yell at the radio, “I know it was Sleigh Ride, and my name’s not Leroy Anderson!” when all of a sudden, the light bulb lit up above my head... in the same moment that the light bar on the police car behind me lit up. (When the cop finally managed to catch up to me, he found me at the counter of my local music store, paying for a copy of THE BEST OF LEROY ANDERSON.)
.
To this day, my four favorite instrumentals of all-time are MOONLIGHT SERENADE; THE TRUTH WILL ALWAYS BE; BUMPIN’ ON SUNSET; and SLEIGH RIDE. But not just any version of Sleigh Ride. No! It must be THIS recording, the one found on THIS compact disc, conducted by Anderson himself. I believe that Anderson may have recorded Sleigh Ride more than once, but THIS 1950 version is the one you want. Hey, would I lie to you about something so important this late in the season, and risk finding only lumps of coal in my stocking again?
.
Of course, there’s other “stuffs” here that you might like also. As the informative liner notes say, “Many of these pieces have become part of the musical fabric of American life. Most everyone knows one or more of his tunes, though they may not know the name of the composer [*It’s Leroy Anderson, remember?*] or even the title of the composition.”

.
For instance, there’s BLUE TANGO, the first instrumental piece ever to sell over one million copies. And THE SYNCOPATED CLOCK, used as the theme for “The Late Show” on WCBS-TV in New York for over 25 years.
.
Anderson was incredibly imaginative and he composed each piece almost completely in his head. He stated, “When I’m making something up I never play a melody on the piano, because your fingers are used to falling into familiar patterns. You don’t give your imagination free rein that way. In other words, your fingers are holding you back.”

.
I find his brief musical pieces to be very evocative. For instance, when I hear SUMMER SKIES, in my mind I seem to see images of Lee Remick romping in a bathing suit at the beach as if in a black and white montage from some classic movie of the 1950s. Or when I hear THE WALTZING CAT, I always seem to imagine a cat waltzing in my mind. THE FIRST DAY OF SPRING always makes me think of the first day of Spring (“Shut them dawgs up, April!”), and FORGOTTEN DREAMS always reminds me of... hmmm.... I forget.
.
But, anyway, SLEIGH RIDE takes me for a ride in a sleigh in my Wintry mind. And just how imaginative WAS Leroy Anderson? Get this! He composed Sleigh Ride during a 1948 July heat wave in Woodbury, Connecticut! OK? Uh-huh. That’s what I’M talkin’ ‘bout! So, what else ya wanna know?
.
For me, Christmas season begins the day after Thanksgiving every year, when I pull out my copy of THE BEST OF LEROY ANDERSON and blast the one piece of music that says “Christmas” to me like no other Christmas song does -- this 1950 recording of Sleigh Ride! And I usually play the song at least once a day up through and including the 25th of December. Then I put the compact disc away for another year. (After all, who really wants to hear about a waltzing cat? I mean, really?!)

.
Get into the swing of the Holiday spirit with THE BEST OF LEROY ANDERSON. Otherwise, I may just have to send Rocco over there to take you for a little (sleigh) ride... if you catch my (snow)drift.
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent choice today! I fully support that it must be *THIS* version of Sleigh Ride. The others just don't cut melted butter.

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MMQE.
      Indeed! Can't even cut melted margarine of the cheap, generic variety -- like ACME, Shopper's Choice, or Buyer's Remorse.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Loyal American Underground'

      Delete
  2. Al Bondigas here. It ain’t Christmas till I’ve heard Leroy Anderson’s Sleigh Ride. Good review mu bruthu. I haven’t put up a single ornament yet, or put the lights on the house yet either. Really tough to get into it like before. You done wrong Stephen. You done real wrong. Anyway, good review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!-Ha! Thanks!
      Don't worry, you ain't behind. It ain't even December 1st yet, and I ain't got a single Christmas thang up yet, either. Well, I've imbibed a little "Christmas", but there ain't nuttin' hangin' where anyone could see.

      We need to right what I dun wrong.

      I got a new blog bit going up soon at BOTB (and protly F-FFF, too) what's gonna s'prise ya.

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.