Downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983

Downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983
STMcC in downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

CLASSICJAZZITIZ!

.
.
CLASSIC JAZZ: Jazz Legends
from: Time-Life
released: 1999
.
You don't need a review in order to help you decide whether or not you ought to purchase this. All you need to do is examine WHO and WHAT appears on this TWO-DISC (!) compilation.
.
Included amongst the principal players are: Ellington, Ella, Satchmo, Miles, Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Erroll Garner, Billie Holiday, Dinah Washington, Nat King Cole, Count Basie, Dave Brubeck, Oscar Peterson, and Cannonball Adderley!
.
Some of the music masters who lend their renowned talents to the production of this music in supporting roles are: Johnny Hodges, Ben Webster, Wynton Kelly, Kenny Burrell, Nelson Riddle, McCoy Tyner, "Sweets" Edison, Quincy Jones, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Tony Williams, Barney Kessel, Buddy Rich, and Joe Zawinul. I mean, this is a veritable Jazz Hall Of Fame!
.
Sure, there are a few dogs here (in my opinion). I gotta grit my teeth to get through Mel Torme's too-cute LULLABY OF BIRDLAND; Chet Baker's flat and comatose MY FUNNY VALENTINE; and Lambert, Hendricks & Ross' CLOUDBURST, which simply rains on my parade. Any one of these should have been replaced by Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers' truly classic Moanin'.

.
OK, so there ain't nothin' perfect on this earth. But if you think I'm a-gonna give anything less than an "A" grade to a collection of unedited Jazz masterpieces that includes: TAKE THE "A" TRAIN; THE "IN" CROWD; THE GIRL FROM IPANEMA; APRIL IN PARIS; KILLER JOE; CAST YOUR FATE TO THE WIND; NIGHT TRAIN; THE CAT; and TAKE FIVE (the 'Stairway To Heaven' of the Jazz World), then yer jus' looney tunes!
.
Man, this truly is Classic Jazz. And if you don't like what is presented here, then you and I ain't never a-gonna hear ear to ear, an' all I can say is: "MERCY, MERCY, MERCY!"
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great compilation to listen to but I am not a Mel Torme fan at all so i can see why you would tune that one out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, BIRGIT, in any compilation there's bound to be a few tracks that a person either dislikes or is ambivalent about. But as compilations go, this is truly top-notch!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

      Delete
  2. Jeesh Dude. As I started reading, I thought every name in red was a link to a song and your post was the biggest homework assignment in history. To keep a long story short - and some jazz players seem to get off track - I prefer The Gap Band. I may be able to compromise at Dazz Band. Let me talk to my manager. Okay Earth Wind And Fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McG DOGG ~

      >>... I thought every name in red was a link to a song and your post was the biggest homework assignment in history

      HA! I can be a real SOB, but still I would NEVER do that to y'all. :oD

      I certainly have heard of both, The Gap Band and Dazz Band, and although I've likely heard a song or two by one or both of them, I'm not consciously aware of it.

      Yeah, we can definitely agree on EW&F. (It would almost be un-American not to.)

      ~ D-FensDogG
      STMcC Presents 'Battle Of The Bands'

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.