Downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983

Downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983
STMcC in downtown Los Angeles, circa 1983

Thursday, September 27, 2018

MY FRIEND$, MY FRIEND$, It’s Worth The MONEY!

.
.
NO CONTROL
by Eddie Money
released: 1982
.
Alright now, I’m doing a little stepping back in time reviewing NO CONTROL, Eddie Money’s sharp, 1982, pink ‘n’ black album which found his slim frame in a suit and tie and looking so... ”money.”
.
When Eddie’s debut album came to my attention in 1978 due to the radio airplay of “Baby Hold On” [#11 in Billboard], I bought it but didn’t spin it often. I thought most of the songs were too spare and unadventurous musically and that his voice was nondescript.

.
I never purchased another Money collection until 1982’s NO CONTROL, though I scarcely remember acquiring it because I was drunk that year. And the next. In truth, those first 4 years of that decade were the height of my partying life. I was living in a house (it’s now a condominium) at 824 Bay Street in Santa Monica (just seven blocks from the skateboarding Z-Boys former surf shop hangout). At that time, 824 must have been the most consistently rowdy house in the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area. John Belushi and National Lampoon’s 'ANIMAL HOUSE'? Pish 'n' Pshaw! That was us when we were BEHAVING ourselves!
.
We were THE LEAGUE OF SOUL CRUSADERS, and as Pooh said, “We drank. We drank a lot. We drank more than we did not.” And yeah, you might have heard some of these hard-rocking Eddie Money tunes blasting from 824 back in the day... and the night. (Our neighbors loved us so much that the entire street signed a petition to send us packing. I guess they enjoyed our act to such a degree that they wanted to see us take it on the road.)
.
By 1982, Money had learned how to write a solid, head-banging Hard Rock tune, and how to use that slight croak in his voice to maximum effect. The rockers on this set, starting with the great road tune SHAKIN’, are all fiercely guitar-propelled and rhythmically driving songs that had all of us liquidated bad boys breaking out the air guitars nearly twenty-five years ago. We eventually grew up and changed.
.
And that’s something else I liked about NO CONTROL: Five years after that other Eddie had revolutionized the electric guitar and had every player emulating him with Van Halenesque “tapping”, here we had Jimmy Lyon and Marty Walsh playing in the old Rock style -- more sustain and distortion -- and it suddenly sounded fresh and exciting again. And on DRIVIN’ ME CRAZY, Tony Brock is the guest drummer behind the kit. Tony Brock? C’mon, dude! He was the stickman for The Babys and, for my “money”, one of Rock’s more formidable and underrated drummers. In ANY BAND not named 'The Babys', Tony Brock would have received the attention he deserved.
.
I don’t listen to Rock a great deal anymore; I graduated to the upper I.Q. of Jazz long ago. But every once in awhile (and especially after all my beloved Christmas songs at the conclusion of the Holiday season) I need to hear some fast tunes with loud guitars, and Eddie’s NO CONTROL is right on the money.
.
Interspersed between the 80 mile-an-hour road runs on NO CONTROL, Eddie has some "school zone" ballads that drop us back down into first gear. Necessary I suppose for balance, but they suffer by comparison, seeming a little droopy. But the one great exception for me is [link> MY FRIENDS, MY FRIENDS, which is really the principal reason I reacquired this album on compact disc. It’s a wistful look back at the friends who made our old times so special and so memorable. It’s a sad song made sadder by some truly mournful harmonica playing beautifully rendered by the Moneyman himself:
.
“My memories are happy / My memories are sad / But I love to take my pictures out / And see the things I had... / My friends, my friends / We never got together again / But I really do miss my friends”
.
THE LEAGUE OF SOUL CRUSADERS: Torch, Pooh, Twinkie, Cranium, Napoleon -- hey, you guys, it’s me, Mr. Intense. I want you guys to know that I still take my pictures out and remember what we had. And I still love you guys... wherever you are*.
.
*Actually, I do know where my brother, Napoleon, is. He’s outside beating up the biker and his pit bull again. I can tell by the dog’s whining and the biker’s crying. I guess it’s nice that one of us never grew up and changed.
.
~ Stephen T. McCarthy
.

8 comments:

  1. Better throw some JW JW in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though this review was written years ago, I actually thought about editing it and doing exactly what you suggested.

      Sounds kind of pink coming from a [Link> "CONFIDENT HETEROSEXUAL", huh?

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Loyal American Underground'

      Delete
  2. Well, your next one will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. McStevo

    It pleases me to no end to see this post! I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Mr Money. Two Tickets and Baby Hold On are 2 of my absolute favorites of his.

    But guess what else? (go on... guess...)

    Remember a few weeks ago I mentioned my nephew had a guest at his tiny roadside motel (they call it an inn.. whatever)? This particular guest was traveling through to a music festival in Montana with his brothers. For some reason, these guys ended up giving my nephew and his family a private concert in their home.

    The guest was Monty Byrom. Monty spent quite a few years co-producing and co-writing hit songs for Mr Money while he was also part of the band.

    Later on, Monty and his brothers had a country music band called Big House. Monty has also worked closely with other big names such as Merle Haggard and was part of Buck Owens band back in the day. One could say that Monty helped these guys develop the Bakersfield sound.

    A quick peak at Wikipedia says this: In addition to Eddie Money, Byrom worked and wrote for a number of other artists including Buck Owens, Beth Hart, The Stray Cats, David Lee Roth, Barbra Streisand, Rita Coolidge, Walela, George Thorogood, Don Felder, Jay Boy Adams, Ted Z and the Wranglers, and Midnight River Choir. He has also worked on many television and movie soundtracks.

    I just had to share that with you. Hope you're having a splendid week. I've got my battles for October written.. Time to BRING IT!

    ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting, MMQE! And I do remember your cryptic remark before about some musician interaction. (I don't know why, but I had assumed that Waylon Jennings had come back from the dead. ;o)

      Although his name didn't ring any bells for me, I do think I'd heard of 'Big House' before. I believe I've run across that name. (Just now checked him out at Wackypedia.)

      Montana... maybe that's where I should move next. I was in Butte once, in '88, and I kind of fell in love with that little town. Butte thought it was still 1955.

      I'm looking forward to my next Battle. We're going to Santa Monica Beach. It'll take more time to read all my yakking than to actually listen to the songs.

      Rock the weekend, Mary!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

      Delete
  4. I love you too man! Just got around to reading this. We truly did have something special, a lightning strike of energy and creativity....not likely to strike twice in one's life. But it did last a good amount of time. Now I know why the Beatles broke up.

    Don't tell Napoleon, but I love my brothers in arms too, well at least the brothers who created the trench in the alley between Bay Street and Lucky Liquor and Jolly Jacks. And, yes, yes you do need Jack Daniels when you have a tooth ache. And it is okay if you finish a half pint before you get back to Bay Street. I think of those times often and wish lightning would strike again to recapture that energy and fun we had. It was magic I tell ya! They are good times I will never forget with a sprinkling of moments that I wish I could forget along with many moments I can't remember, what with the drinkin' and all.
    JW and strictly brotherly love,
    Pooh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. >>... We truly did have something special.

      Thinkin' maybe we didn't?

      >>... a lightning strike of energy and creativity.... not likely to strike twice in one's life.

      Yeah, it was, Pooh. And it's impossible to explain to others, because almost EVERYONE thinks they had the same thing.

      Everyone: "Oh, yeah, me and a couple buddies, we used to be like that, too. We'd go out drinking sometimes."

      Me: "Sometimes?! And are there songs and poetry that have been composed about you?"

      Everyone: "Well,... no."

      Me: "Get back to me when you have songs and poetry."

      ~ D-FensDogG
      Ferret-Faced Fascist Friends

      Delete

---> NOTE: COMMENT MODERATION IS ACTIVATED. <---
All submitted comments that do not transgress "Ye Olde Comment Policy" will be posted and responded to as soon as possible. Thanks for taking the time to comment.